The South Carolina Department of Social Services (SCDSS) makes every possible effort to make our web resources accessible to people with disabilities. If you are not able to access any content on this website due to a disability, please notify us by emailing: Website@dss.sc.gov. DO NOT USE THIS EMAIL FOR SNAP/TANF INQUIRIES, TO ADDRESS COMPLAINTS OR TO FORWARD PRIVATE/CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION.
For SNAP/TANF benefits and case information, call DSS Connect at
1-800-616-1309 or APPLY ONLINE for benefits.
Constituent Services representatives DO NOT have access to SNAP/TANF case information.
For general information, contact:
Contact DSS Constituent Services
ONLINE CONTACT FORM
General Information Line - (803) 898-7601 (Press "O" to speak with a representative.)
SC DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES
WEBSITE PRIVACY STATEMENT
This privacy statement addresses the collection, security, and disclosure of information that is obtained during your use of the SCDSS website. The privacy of our website visitors is important to us. Please note that information provided by visitors to this website may be subject to disclosure as required by State or federal law or as otherwise described in this privacy statement.
INFORMATION COLLECTED AND STORED AUTOMATICALLY
When you visit our website, we may automatically gather and store the following information about your visit so that we can track how our website is used, in order to make improvements.
- If you are using this site to read or download information: For statistical purposes, we may collect and store the following information:
- the IP address from which you access our website;
- the name of the domain from which you access the Internet;
- the type of browser and operating system used to access our website;
- the date and time you access our site;
- the pages, files, documents, and links that you visit; and
- the website URL that referred you to this website (the address for the last website you visited before visiting this one).
- If you are using this site to send us an email: By sending us an electronic mail message, you may be sending us personal information (e.g., name, physical address, email address). One example of this would be an official Freedom of Information Act request. We may store the name and addresses of the requester in order to respond to the request or to otherwise resolve the subject matter of your email.
- If you are using this site to register, apply for benefits or services: Our site may ask visitors, who request specific information, to fill out a form. Other information that may be collected at this site through questionnaires, feedback forms, applications for benefits, or other means, enables us to determine a visitor's interests, with the goal of providing better service for visitors to our website.
SCDSS will endeavor to maintain the confidentiality and integrity of your information. However, in the course of performing their job duties, SCDSS employees may be able to view, or have access to, the information you provide.
In addition, because SCDSS is a public agency, information collected on this site may be subject to disclosure under the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). FOIA includes various exemptions, however, including an exemption that permits public bodies to withhold from disclosure certain types of information of a personal nature in order to preserve the privacy of individuals.
Data maintained in SCDSS systems will be protected using the security standards and procedures established by the Agency.
The Family Privacy Protection Act of 2002:
This Act prohibits persons or private entities from using any personal information obtained from a state agency for commercial solicitation purposes. A person knowingly violating this prohibition is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to the penalties specified in South Carolina Code of Laws Section 30-2- 50(D).
Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), 15 U.S.C. § 6501, et seq.:
Our website is not geared towards children under 13 years of age. Younger visitors should always check with their parents or guardians before entering information on any website, and we encourage families to discuss their household guidelines regarding the online sharing of personal information.
DATA YOU PROVIDE TO US
If your data is stored in our system, it may be accessed by our staff members in the performance of their job duties and may be subject to disclosure by rule, regulation, or law. For example, we may be required, by law, to disclose your data without your consent and without notice in order to comply with a valid legal process, such as a subpoena, court order, or search warrant.
LINKS TO OTHER SITES
QUESTIONS OR FEEDBACK ON OUR WEBSITE PRIVACY?
Please contact our Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) office at: CISOOffice@dss.sc.gov