The Family First Prevention Services Act (FFPSA) is the most substantial funding reform in the child welfare arena in the last 20 years. It aims to correct the value-policy mismatch perpetuated by the former funding system, which incentivized foster care placement and did not provide funding for noncustodial and prevention services. The new approach to funding incentivizes placing children in family settings, providing evidence-based services, and working with relatives who care for children in their families outside of the foster care system.
In order to prepare for a thorough implementation of FFPSA, ensure a quality service array, determine and plan for future legislative changes, and await full guidance from the Children’s Bureau, SCDSS has decided to delay implementation until October 2021. DSS is excited about the opportunity to enhance prevention practice and work with internal and external partners to support the maintenance of family connections, improving overall well-being and permanency.
For any questions related to DSS’s implementation status, please submit all inquiries to FamilyFirstPSAinfo@dss.sc.gov.
- Overview of the Family First Prevention Services Act (FFPSA)
- FFPSA Prevention Services Implementation Timeline
- FFPSA Flyer
- FFPSA FAQs for SC Private Providers
Family First Prevention Services - Grant Information and Opportunities
- Overview: FFPSA Brief-Strategic Family Therapy
- NEW GRANT OPPORTUNITY (11/02/20) - Brief Strategic Family Therapy Request for Grant Application (Closes 11/20/20 -2:30pm)
- Vendor Question & Answer Response (Posted 11/11/20 11:20am)
- Overview: FFPSA Functional Family Therapy