Department Of Social Services Logo


Q: How long does SC Vouchers for child care/Child Care Scholarships last?

A: SC Voucher child care assistance may be provided for 52 weeks or more for a family that has SCDSS involvement (open child protective services or foster care) and for children who are living with relatives and receiving Child-Only TANF benefits. If you have questions about whether you qualify, contact SCDSS child care staff at 1-800-476-0199.


Q: If I have legal custody of my relative, can I become their foster parent, so I can get additional financial assistance similar to what foster families receive?

A: No. Foster parents provide care when the child is in SCDSS custody. If you have legal custody, you are responsible for the child until they become an adult. However, caregivers may be able to get child support payments from both parents. Caregivers may also be eligible for SNAP benefits and Child-Only TANF benefits. SC Thrive may be a good resource for you.


Q: Do I have to report my income or other personal information to a government agency to get services for the child?

A: Probably. Caregivers will have to give basic information including name, social security number, household address, and household income so that public assistance programs like SNAP or Medicaid can determine your eligibility.


Q: What if I have trouble getting in touch with my case manager?

A: If you know their phone numbers, the case manager’s immediate supervisor or program coordinator for that office can be your next person to call. If not, contact the Kinship Care Coordinator in your region. Midlands: Chasiti Washington (803) 609-6933; Pee Dee: Jada Moody-Davis (843) 731-1192; Low Country: Arnetta Washington (803) 584-8112; and Upstate: Erica Cunningham (864) 314-0496.


Q: What if I decide I’m no longer able to care for the child who was placed in my home by SCDSS?

A: Contact your case manager right away so different arrangements can be made. SCDSS staff will try their best to accommodate your situation.


Q: Who can become a Licensed Kinship Foster Parent?

A: Licensed Kinship Care is an option when a child is in SCDSS custody. The kinship caregiver will have to meet additional requirements to become a licensed kinship foster parent and can become licensed before the child is placed in the home. Foster parents must be 21 years old or older, except in special circumstances. See the Kinship Foster Care brochure for more information.


Q: What are the benefits of becoming licensed?

A: When a kinship caregiver meets licensing requirements, they receive additional support such as training and monthly board payments that help cover the child’s living expenses. See the Kinship Foster Care brochure for more information.


If you have additional questions about licensing, contact the SCDSS case manager assigned or your Regional Kinship Care Coordinator assigned to your region to find out more.

Child Welfare Services Transformation

Best Outcomes for Children and Families

Do you have a complaint regarding services being provided to a child by a state agency? Please submit your complaint by phone (1-800-206-1957) or an electronic submission form here with the South Carolina Department of Children's Advocacy.