DSS and the Clerks of Court manage child support cases through a centralized computer system. The system includes child support cases receiving services through DSS as well as private support cases (child and spousal) enforced by the Clerks of Court. The system issues income withholding notices to employers for both DSS cases and private support cases. This income withholding form complies with federal requirements.
- All payments must be sent directly to the State Disbursement Unit (SDU).
- You may make payments electronically via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Click here to view the South Carolina Employer’s Guide to Electronic Payment of Child Support Withholding. The benefits of EFT include:
- Added security from reduced risk of lost or stolen checks
- Electronic processing reduces chance of error in entering case information. Inaccurate case information results in delayed payments to custodial parents.
- Savings of time and costs of paper checks, envelopes, and postage
- Increased efficiency for employers as well as faster receipt of funds to families
- There are two options for EFT:
- ExpertPay – best for small to medium-sized employers who process payroll in-house. For more information, visit www.ExpertPay.com
- EFT via employer – best for medium to large-sized business who use a third-party payroll processor or have robust accounting software. For more information, contact SDU customer support at (800) 768-5858 or email SCSDU-Employer-EFT@conduent.com
- The DSS Employer Services Unit monitors income withholding compliance. You may receive inquiries including verification of your FEIN and contact information, employment verifications, income withholding orders, amendments, and terminations from this unit. To update your company’s address information for receiving income withholding orders, employment verifications and national medical support notices, call the Employer Services Unit at (803) 898-9235 or toll-free at (888) 454-5294, or via email at EmployerServicesUnit@dss.sc.gov.
- You can choose to receive Income Withholding Orders electronically (including exchange of information on verifications, new income orders, amendments, and terminations). This free service allows employers and DSS to exchange information more efficiently. For more information and to sign up, please see the federal Office of Child Support Enforcement website at https://www.acf.hhs.gov/css/employers/e-iwo
For additional employer resources, click here.