Department Of Social Services Logo

Links and Resources

Responsible Father Registry

If you think that you may have fathered a child, you may register with the Responsible Father Registry to protect your rights should the child be placed for adoption.


Application for Services 

How to Apply


Establishing or Modifying a Support Order

Child Support Guidelines (2024)

Modifying Child Support in South Carolina

Enrollment Form for Direct Deposit or Way2Go Card for Custodial Parents 

Child Support Payments Options for Non-Custodial Parents 


Legal Services and Fatherhood Resources

        Assistance in Seeking a Visitation Order

        Visitation: Forms to Represent Yourself In Court

South Carolina Legal Services


Domestic Violence Support

The South Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (SCCADVASA) 

Safe Place South Carolina 


for Paternity Establishment

  • Making Positive Choices for Your Child - SC Parenting Opportunity Program Brochure   English   Spanish
  • Rights and Responsibilities for Completing a Paternity Acknowledgement  English   Spanish
  • Power of Two - Parenting Opportunity Program Video – Explains the process for voluntarily establishing paternity at the time of or after birth.  English    Spanish


For Birth Registration Staff - Paternity Establishment Resources 

Training Manual for Birth Registration Staff

SC Parenting Opportunity Program Training Module


Additional Resources

Information about obtaining Birth Certificates and other vital records can be found at: Fees apply.

When You Want to Add a Father’s Name (Out of Wedlock) to Your Child's Birth Certificate
If a father was not listed on the birth certificate following the birth of a child at the hospital, a DHEC amended birth certificate form will need to be completed.

A paternity acknowledgment cannot be completed if the mother was married at any time during the pregnancy or at the child's birth, or if another father is recorded on the birth record.


You may have unclaimed money…

Millions of dollars are transferred to the SC State Treasurer’s Unclaimed Property Program each year by organizations, including the SCDSS Child Support Services Division, when the rightful owners cannot be located. It only takes a minute to find out! Click the button below.

South Carolina Unclaimed Property Program


Child Welfare Services Transformation

Best Outcomes for Children and Families

Do you have a complaint regarding services being provided to a child by a state agency? Please submit your complaint by phone (1-800-206-1957) or an electronic submission form here with the South Carolina Department of Children's Advocacy.