How to Apply

Important Information for Parents regarding CARES Act federal stimulus checks

While there has been discussion at the national level of a second COVID-19 stimulus payment to families, there has been no law passed by Congress. At this time, the Child Support Services Division has no way of knowing if there will be a second stimulus payment or if the federal government will direct our agency to intercept the stimulus payments for past due child support. We will update this message if the second stimulus payment is passed into law and when we become aware of the intercept rules for that payment.

On March 27, 2020, Congress passed and President Trump signed into law the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act (the “Act”). The Act, in part, provides qualifying individuals with a recovery rebate of up to $1,200 (or $2,400 if married and filing jointly), plus up to $500 for each qualifying child.

Please be advised…

The economic impact payments (stimulus payments) made to eligible noncustodial parents who owe past-due child support and who are subject to intercept under the Federal Income Tax Refund Offset Program will be offset by the amount of past-due child support.

The CARES Act does not provide states the option to suspend federal interception.
This action takes place prior to the funds being received by the state Child Support Services Division.

Click here for additional information regarding the CARES Act stimulus payments

Click here for FAQ released by the IRS regarding the disbursement of the funds

There are numerous ways to apply for Child Support Services. Unless you are a recipient of TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), applying for our services is entirely up to you. If you are receiving TANF, an application for Child Support Services will be sent to our office automatically. Although your cooperation is essential to the establishment of paternity and support, the application itself requires nothing further on your part. 

It is important to know that you do not have to have formal, legal custody of your child to apply. The child does have to live with you, though, in order for you to be considered a CUSTODIAL PARENT. If your child resides with you, and you want to apply for Child Support Services, please click here to complete the application. 

If your child does not live with you, but you would like to legally establish paternity, please click here to complete the application. 

Do you have a complaint regarding services being provided to a child by a state agency? Please submit your complaint by phone (1-800-206-1957) or an electronic submission form here with the South Carolina Department of Children's Advocacy.