Department Of Social Services Logo

Chafee Funded Services

Chafee Funded Services

The Chafee Foster Care Program for Successful Transition to Adulthood was established to provide youth with opportunities to learn needed skills and increase the likelihood of successful transition from foster care to independence. Youth can be best prepared by learning about both the challenges and the opportunities in the following areas:

  • Academic
  • Post-Secondary Education
  • Employment
  • Transportation
  • Housing

Eligibility Criteria

Who is Eligible for Chafee Funded Services?

  • Youth currently in foster care who are between the ages 14 until 21st birthday
  • Youth formerly in foster care who at age 14 or older left foster care for reunification and have not reached age 21
  • Youth who have aged out of foster care at age 18 until 21st birthday
  • Youth formerly in foster care who at 16 or older left foster care for adoption, legal guardianship, kinship care until 21st birthday

What Chafee funded services are available?

Pathways to Success Chafee and ETV Program Booklet (October 2022)


Academic (Secondary) Support Services

  • School sponsored activities (such as ROTC, Sports Teams, Band)
  • Non-school sponsored activities (such as Karate classes)
  • Leadership/scholar programs
  • School-related fees (such as summer school and field trips)
  • GED
  • Tutoring
  • Senior year expenses (Prom and Graduation)
  • Graduate awards
  • College applications/fees
  • ACT/SAT Prep classes and tests

 Post-Secondary Education Support Services

  • Academic incentive
  • Computer bundle
  • Graduate awards
  • Leadership/scholar programs
  • School-related fees
  • Tutoring

 Employment Support Services

  • License/certification
  • Job skills training   
  • Uniforms/footwear 
  • Interview clothing

 Transportation Support Services

  • Bus pass
  • Bicycle   
  • Driver’s education
  • State ID/driver’s license 
  • Vehicle repairs and/or maintenance 
  • Insurance
  • Travel to college orientation/home visits from college
  • Travel to GED/vocational/job skills training
  • Travel to work  

 Housing and Transition Support Services

  • Utilities deposit
  • Rental application fees
  • Rental deposit fees
  • Furniture
  • Rental assistance
  • Interim housing for college students
  • DDSN household essential bundle
  • Household essential bundle
  • Dorm essential bundle
  • Dependent bundle
  • Emergency assistance

How do I apply for Chafee Funded Services?

First: Download the Pathways to Success Chafee and ETV Program Booklet (October 2022)

Second: Identify the services that you need.

Third: Discuss these services with your DSS case manager and/or foster parent and identify what is needed to support the requested items. If there are any questions, please contact for guidance and support.

Fourth: The DSS case manager will submit the Chafee Funding Request Form (DSS Form 30198) to Chafee/ETV Program for review and processing. Please note there are several internal documents that must accompany the request that only your DSS case manager can provide.

Funding requests for John H. Chafee Foster Care Program for Successful Transition to Adulthood Funds are submitted to the Chafee/ETV Program on (DSS Form 30198).  Please review the Chafee Booklet Appendix A and include the required documentation for each item checked on page 2 of the form 30198. Applications are emailed to

Applications can be emailed, faxed, or mailed. DSS providers are able to send an encrypted email. All non-DSS requestors must fax or mail the request form in order to protect youth’s confidentiality.

Email Address:

Fax Number: 803-898-1209

Mailing address:
SCDSS- Chafee/ETV Program
1535 Confederate Avenue
Post Office Box 1520
Columbia, SC  29202-1520

Applications will be reviewed as they are received on an ongoing basis. Case managers are contacted via email or telephone by the Chafee/ETV Program Coordinator when more information is needed.  Upon receipt of completed funding request (with all necessary supporting documentation), a decision regarding approval will be made and the county will be notified. 

It can take up to two weeks for requests to be reviewed and processed. Once a request has been approved it can take up to two weeks for funds to be transferred from DSS State Office to the DSS county office. Once the funds are at the county office, the case manager must submit a check request to release those funds to the vendor, youth, or provider. The case manager will notify you that the funds have arrived and coordinate the best course to deliver those funds.

Child Welfare Services Transformation

Best Outcomes for Children and Families

Do you have a complaint regarding services being provided to a child by a state agency? Please submit your complaint by phone (1-800-206-1957) or an electronic submission form here with the South Carolina Department of Children's Advocacy.