Skip to: Content | News | Events

South Carolina Department of Social Services

V. Susan Alford, State Director  

Follow Us: DSS Facebook DSS Twitter DSS LinkedIn

Skip Navigation LinksFamily Independence-ePAY Card

• Most Family Independence (FI) customers will qualify to receive their FI benefits through an ePAY debit card. The ePAY debit card is linked to a personal bank account established for you at a FDIC insured bank. Only DSS authorized payments will be deposited into this account.

• Your ePAY card and information packet will be mailed to you once your case has been approved. Read the information packet carefully. If you already have an ePAY card from a previous eligibility period, you will use that to access your benefits.

• You need to select a 4 digit PIN. You will need to remember this number and keep it safe.

• You must call a customer services representative to PIN your card before you can use it. Have your ePAY card, social security number and your date of birth available when you call this number.

• Checking your balance easy and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call the customer service number on the card. However, the bank can charge fees for more than 3 calls per month. Read the information packet that came with your ePAY card carefully about ways to use your card for free and possible bank fees.

      • You can also check your account information by going to
       Using the internet to check your balance and transactions completed is free.

      • If you need cash, you will be able to receive “cash back” when you make purchases,
      depending on the store policy.

      • You can also receive one “free” over-the-counter transaction each month at any bank that
      accepts MasterCard.

      • If your card is lost or stolen, call the customer service number immediately. Keep that number
       in a safe place in the event you no longer have the card.

•The card can be used anywhere you see the MasterCard logo with the exception of:

      - Liquor stores – this means any establishment that primarily sells intoxicating liquor.

      - Casino, gambling casino, or gaming establishments.

      - Businesses that provide adult-oriented entertainment in which performers disrobe or perform
      in an unclothed state for entertainment.


  • To Report Child or Adult Abuse and Neglect call your local county office:
  • For information on SNAP benefits, contact DSS CONNECT at 1-800-616-1309 or any local DSS office during normal business hours.
  • To report Vendor/Retailer/DSS Employee Fraud
  • Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)