Skip to: Content | News | Events

South Carolina Department of Social Services

V. Susan Alford, State Director  

Follow Us: DSS Facebook DSS Twitter DSS LinkedIn

Skip Navigation LinksSouth Carolina Combined Application Program (SCCAP)

The Social Security Administration, in conjunction with the Department of Social Services (DSS), has a project called the South Carolina Combined Application Project (SCCAP). SCCAP is a program where you no longer have to apply at a DSS office in order to receive SNAP benefits. You are eligible for SNAP benefits because you receive SSI. You will receive a set amount of SNAP benefits each month (with annual cost-of-living adjustments) and may receive them as long as you continue to receive SSI and your household living arrangement remains the same.

You should be eligible for SCCAP:

  • If you currently receive Supplemental Security (SSI) Check;
  • If you live alone, or if you live with other people but are responsible for purchasing and preparing meals for yourself only; and
  • If you have no earned income.

To receive food stamps, you must:

  • Complete a SCCAP application form
  • Submit in the self-addressed envelope that will be provided for you or
  • Mail it to SCCAP, South Carolina Department of Social Services, P.O. BOX 1520, Columbia, SC, 29202-1520.

If you are eligible, you will receive benefits the month following the date your application is received. You will be notified in writing.

If you receive SNAP benefits through SCCAP and:

  • you have shelter (such as rent or mortgage, property taxes, home insurance,) and utility (such as electricity, gas for heating or cooling, water, sewage, garbage pick-up) expenses which cost your more than 1/2 of your income each month; and, or
  • you have monthly medical out-of-pocket expenses of more than $35, you may apply at the local DSS office to receive SNAP benefits outside of SCCAP.
  • Once on SCCAP, you only report required changes to the SSA Office and the SSA Office notifies SCCAP.

A copy of the Food Stamp Program Rights and Responsibilities is available at the bottom of this page beneath More Information and Resources.

If you have any questions concerning food stamps or the above information, please call the SCCAP toll free hotline at 1-800-616-1309.


You are not required to pay tax on food purchased with SNAP benefits.

More Information & Resources

Nondiscrimination Statement for SNAP

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027), found online at, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

You may also file a complaint of discrimination by contacting DSS. Write DSS Office of Civil Rights, P.O. Box 1520, Columbia, S.C. 29202-1520; or call (800) 311-7220 or (803) 898-8080 or TTY: (800) 311-7219.


  • To Report Child or Adult Abuse and Neglect call your local county office:
  • For information on SNAP benefits, contact DSS CONNECT at 1-800-616-1309 or any local DSS office during normal business hours.
  • To report Vendor/Retailer/DSS Employee Fraud
  • Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)