Information for Parents Paying Support


The Department of Social Services and the Clerks of Court will begin transitioning to the State Disbursement Unit October 2018. All counties will transition over a 10-month period. Payments made by Non-Custodial Parents must be sent to the State Disbursement Unit in accordance with the transition schedule. Click here to see the transition schedule. Continue to send your payments to your Clerk of Court until the date shown in the transition schedule. At that time, you will receive a notice with the payment instructions shown below and your assigned Member ID Number for payment identification. Payments made by employers must be sent to the State Disbursement Unit beginning in August 2019.



There are several payment options available as your case moves to the new system.

Mailed Payments

Make checks and money orders payable to South Carolina State Disbursement Unit.

Properly identify payments with your full name, assigned Member ID Number and your social security number.

Mail payments to:
South Carolina State Disbursement Unit
PO Box 100302
Columbia SC 29202-3302 

Walk-In and Cash Payments

You may make cash payments at MoneyGram® locations throughout the State. Walmart, CVS/pharmacy® and Kroger are among the retailers providing MoneyGram® services. To locate a MoneyGram® location near you, click here. Look for locations offering “Pay a Bill” services. Walmart also accepts pin-based debit card payments. Click here to see for more information on “how to make walk-in MoneyGram® payments”. Payments made through MoneyGram® are received at the State Disbursement Unit in 2 business days. MoneyGram® charges a $3.99 fee per walk-in payment.

Payments made in response to Rule to Show Cause actions should be made in person at the Clerk of Court in the county where your court order resides. Policies regarding personal checks and credit card payments are specific to each individual Clerk of Court.

Other Payment Options

Automatic Withdrawal Payments (Deduct from Your Bank Account) 

Online automatic withdrawal payments can be made through ExpertPay℠. Click here to register for ExpertPay℠. Payments can also be made by telephone at (800) 403-0879. Payments made through ExpertPay℠ are received at the State Disbursement Unit in 5 business days. There is a one-time registration fee of $2.50. There are no transaction fees.

Credit/Debit Card Payments

Online credit/debit card payments can be made through e-childsPay℠. Click here for more information on e-childsPay℠. Payments also can be made by telephone at (888) 392-3391. Payments made through e-childsPay℠ are received at the State Disbursement Unit in 4 business days. Fees are 2.95% of payment amount with a maximum fee amount of $60.

Online credit/debit card payments can also be made through MoneyGram®. Click here for online payments. Payments also can be made by telephone at (800) 926-9400. Payments made through MoneyGram® are received at the State Disbursement Unit in 2 business days. Fees are charged based on the following tiers.


Fee Comparison (Online Credit/Debit Card Payments)
The table below compares fees charged by e-childsPay℠ and MoneyGram® for a variety of sample payment amounts.






The South Carolina State Disbursement Unit will accept personal checks. The option to pay by personal check is considered a privilege. That privilege will be rescinded upon return of a deposited personal check by the State Disbursement Unit depository bank. Once rescinded, subsequent payments must be made with certified checks, money orders, walk-in cash payments and/or through online electronic payment services.

If your check is returned because of insufficient funds, we may present your check again in electronic form to the bank. You can obtain a copy of your check through your bank statement or by requesting it from your financial institution.

We refer checks returned for insufficient funds to a third-party collection service. You are responsible for the $30 service charge. Returned checks and associated service charges may be electronically debited from your account.

Paying by check is your acceptance of this policy. If you choose not to pay by check, you may also pay by cashier’s check, money order or through other payment options described above.



If you need to place a stop payment on a check sent to the State Disbursement Unit, you must contact customer service at (800) 768-5858 and report it prior to receipt by the State Disbursement Unit. Please provide the bank routing number, bank account number, check amount and check number. If properly reported on a timely basis the State Disbursement Unit will return the check to you upon receipt. Deposited checks returned for a reason of stop payment are treated the same as those returned for insufficient funds as described above.


As part of its reform efforts, SCDSS entered into a Final Settlement Agreement regarding the Michelle H., federal class action lawsuit and has committed to short-term, intermediate, and long-term systemic improvements for children in foster care.

Learn More