DSS is part of our state’s public safety system. DSS is responsible for protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and neglect by their parents, guardians, caretakers, or other relatives. DSS works to keep children and vulnerable adults safe in their own homes with supportive services. If the child or vulnerable adult can’t be made safe at home, Law Enforcement or the courts remove the endangered child or adult, and DSS places the child in kinship or foster care, or helps the vulnerable adult have their needs met safely out of the home.
- Report Child Abuse and Neglect
- Report Abuse and Neglect of a Vulnerable Adult
- Out-of-State Records Request
- Child Protective Services
- Adult Protective Services
- Domestic Violence
- Child Fatalities Dashboard
- Adult Open Investigations Dashboard
- Adult Protective Services Dashboard
- Mandated Reporters
- COVID-19 Heightened Risks
Do you have a complaint regarding services being provided to a child by a state agency? Please submit your complaint by phone (1-800-206-1957) or an electronic submission form here with the South Carolina Department of Children's Advocacy.